Wednesday 17 December 2014

Slow cooked chicken curry using coconut milk

Today's experiment is... Curry in the slow cooker & using coconut milk for the first time!

I haven't yet made a curry in the slow cooker, normally I would just use a cheap jar of curry sauce (one of those 20p ones) and that's it but I wanted to try to shake it up a bit. I came across some recipes for curry that used coconut milk and kept thinking about trying up and then one day when I was shopping in the clearance section was a dented tin of coconut milk. Perfect!

I used the following recipe and added my own twist :)

INGREDIENTS
1 large onion, cut into 10 wedges
1 red bell pepper, cored and cut into squares
2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
1 1/2 lb (675 g) skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons (10 ml) chili powder
2 teaspoons (10 ml) curry powder
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground turmeric
1 can (398 ml/14 oz) coconut milk
1 tablespoon (15 ml) honey
Salt and pepper


I didn't have any turmeric so that was missed out. My chicken was some breasts which were reduced and separated then frozen (costing approx 44p).
I also added some potato to mine, I used 2 medium ones chopped into small chunks and placed these at the bottom of the slow cooker.
I fried the onion and red pepper on the hob quickly then added to slow cooker.
Then I added all the spices and honey, followed by the chicken which I had also par cooked on the hob. Finally in went the coconut milk and a little splash of water.
It went on high around 11 am and by 3pm was done!



Before dishing it was reheated to temperature and had some defrosted peas added.
Served with plain white rice and some reduced bread slices.
Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment